Modern Software Experience

2011-11-24

new plaque unveiled

Vrouwekerk

Early this morning, before the American Thanksgiving in the Pieterskerk (Peter's Church) in Leiden, a new plague commemorating the Mayflower Pilgrims was unveiled at the Vrouwekerkplein. The Vrouwekerkplein is the square in the city centry with the remains of the former Church of Our Lady on it. The plaque has been placed in the remaining wall of the Vrouwekerk.

The plague was designed by Jeremy Bangs, director of the Leiden American Pilgrim Museum. He took the initiative for the creation and installation of the plague, and wrote both the Dutch and English text. The money for the plaque was raised by the Vrouwekerk Bronze Plaque Committee of by The Delano Kindred. The plague measures 99 cm × 120 cm (39″ × 47¼″).

Vrouwekerk Plague

plaque

The solid bronze plague has three panels. The panel along the top is a relifed that shows what the Vrouwekerk used to look like. Below are two panels of text, one Dutch, and one English, that explains the significance of this church in to the Pilgrims from Leiden.

The Dutch text reads:

Een kapel aan de Maagd Maria gewijd, de Vrouwekerk, is heir omstreeks 1330 gebouwd. Toen dit gebied bij de stad werd ingelijfd, was de Vrouwekerk de derde Parochieerk van Leiden geworden. Na de Reformatie werd de kerk in 1584 aan de Nieuwe Franse Vluchtelingengemeente, de Waalse Kerk, toegewezen. Deze telde roon de 6000 leden in de 17de eeuw, en kreeg in 1638 ook het gebruik van een kapel op de Breestraat. Onder hun dominees waren de theologen Gomarus en Trelcatius. Tussen de leden van de Waalse Kerk bevonden zich ook de latere ‘Mayflower’ passagier Francois Coucke, alsmede zijn vrouw Ester Mahieu en hun neef Philippe de Lanoy, hier in 1603 gedoopt. Zij en enkele andere Walen emigreerden naar de Pilgrim-kolonie Plymouth in Nieuwe Engeland. Zij werden de voorouders van de Amerikaanse Presidenten Grant, Bush, en Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Jesse de Forest, Leider van der eerste Kolonisten van Guyana en Nieuw Amsterdam (tegenwoordig New York), was ook lid van deze Waalse gemeente. Wegens teruglopende ledenaantallen en bouwvalligheid van de Vrouwekerk, verhuisde de Waalse Gemeente in 1818 naar hun kapel op de Breestraat, waar hun diensten tot op henden nog steeds in het Frans worden gehouden. De Vrouwekerk is in 1819 deels afgebroken, met nog meer afbraak van de resten in de jaren na 1980. Nu blijven muurfragmenten en funderingen over om dit levendigte brandpunt van het leven in het Middeleeuwse Leiden te gedenken en tevens herinneren zij aan de rol die Leiden heeft gespeeld in de geschiedenis van migratie en toevlucht.

The English text reads:

A Chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary wa built around 1330, called the Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady). The Vrouwekerk became the third parish after the annexation of this area as part of the city of Leiden. After the Reformation, in 1584 the Church was assigned to the new French Reformed congregation (The Walloon Church). They numbered as many as 6000 members in the 17th century and were granted an additional chapel on the Breestraat in 1638. Pastors included the theologians Gomarus and Trelcatius. Among members of the Walloon Church were “Mayflower” passenger François Coucke and his wife Hester Mahieu, as well as their nephew Philippe de Lanoy, baptised here in 1603. They were among Walloons who joined the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony in New England. Their descendants include American Presidents Grant, Bush, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Jesse de Fores, leader of the colonists who first settled Guyan and New Amsterdam (now called New York City), was also a member of this church. Because of dwindling numbers and the dilapidation of the Vrouwekerk, the Walloons withdrew in 1818 to theit other chapel at the Breestraat where services in French continue. The Vrouwekerk was partly demolish in 1819, and more in the 1980s. Now only fragments of the wall and the foundations remain to recall this lively focus of life in medieval Leiden and to remind one of Leiden's place in the history of migration and refuge.

links